You’ve raised your children and pretty much followed the same rules with each one right? Then why are they so different? And why didn’t they turn out the way I wanted them to? Have I failed?
No! Your child(ren) were created by God to be who God intended them to be, not who you intended them to be. And God may actually be using this time in your life to try to teach you something.
As young adults, they will need to try out lots of things their way. It doesn’t matter if you know the best way; they have to give it their best, try it their way, spread their wings and fly ……or fall.
Here are a few tips for giving them the space they need:
1. Let them make their own decisions.
2. Respect the decisions they make-even if they may not be the best ones.
3. Never say “You should have done it my way.”
4. Remember that your expectations are your expectations, not theirs.
5. As they grow and change, so should you.
6. Pray for your children and turn it over to God and let it go.
7. Remember God won’t give you more than you can handle.
8. Always be there, if they want to talk, listen, ask questions, don’t lecture. The end result is what matters- that you have a relationship with your child.